Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What I Like Wednesday: Yellow Love

I know that I just posted a few weeks ago about removing an offensive yellow color from my kitchen walls (see here if you missed it), so you might be wondering what this yellow love is all about.  I do LOVE my new blue color, it is better in a million ways.  But as soon as I did it, I started to see all sorts of beautiful yellow inspiration everywhere that I looked.

It turns out that yellow and I aren't actually breaking up, we just needed to spend some time apart so that we could remember what we liked about each other in the first place.

Like how sometimes the color is so bold that it catches you off guard, and you are surprised by how perfect it is.  I saw this arrangement on Becky Higgin’s site here, and thought that I would have put those flowers straight into a clear or brown vase, but that yellow just makes the whole thing pop.  That vase actually makes the arrangement, which is a pretty big compliment because the flowers are incredible.

centerpiece

I also love how yellow can be so calm and soothing. (That is, when it's not sucking the soul out of your kitchen with an angry orange glow...let it go Erin, let it go.)  Anyway, I love this peaceful yellow bathroom, from Cottage Living.  I just want to take a book and some bubble bath and hang out in there all day long.

cottagelivingyellowbathroom_thumb

Or how a subtle yellow can be so beautiful.

captivatable_thumb.jpg

somersetcumberlandcabinet_thumb.jpg

Sometimes yellow can bring a fun and funky vibe, like on this adorable sign, which you know I am a sucker for, courtesy of Meet Virginia here.

IMG_1802.jpg

It also turns out that a good shade of yellow can work well in a room with grayish blue walls, and can remind you of why you used to think of it as a color that was sunny and happy.  I found this dresser makeover at Design Sponge.

michelleafter1.jpg

Perhaps I will bring some yellow back into my kitchen.  Not on the walls because I already know that it can't be trusted there, but in a few small places.  We'll see how it behaves and then maybe move forward from there.

Do you have a place in your home where the yellow is really making the space work?  If so, we'd love to see it!!  Have a great week!

 

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475.png

 

7 comments:

TBonesMom May 19, 2010 at 7:58 AM  

I've had a love affair with yellow since I was really young. It's still going on...just milder. For example, right now my kitchen is a beautiful, happy mix of sunshine yellow, electric orange, and zippy lime green! I love it, love it, love it.

BTW, your post today cracked me up...you have a great sense of humor. :)

Kristi May 19, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

We have a huge wall that stretches from our kitchen to the living room. We decided to paint it a nice subtle, sunny yellow. I love it. It does help that we get plenty of natural light in that area and that it isn't an in-your-face-yellow. I vote for allowing yellow back into your life!!

Sarah @ Hennessey House May 19, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

i agree, a pop of yellow is perfection. or actually, in the right context (such as with that amazing dresser) a whole lotta yellow can be gorgeous.

Morgan//Nuts and Bows May 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

OH MY ERIN!!! Thank you so much for featuring me! I don't feel worthy to be on your guy's awesome blog! I loved your yellow post its my fave color!!! Thanks so much again that just made my day!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

Rebecca@This Present Life May 19, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Thanks for the yellow inspiration! I've been wanting to paint an end table and I was contemplating yellow. You've convinced me! Now I just have to decide if I want the bright, sunny yellow, or soft butter yellow.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver May 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

Mmmm.... I love me some yellow. especially the buttery yellow hutch!
great inspiration pictures, you think you've fallen in love with yellow all over again, because of the way it plays off your new blue palette? Maybe the yellow just pops now because of it.

either way... I love me some yellow.

Amy May 20, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Oh my goodness! I just fell in love with yellow! Thanks, Erin, for the inspiration of color--even just a touch goes a long way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails