Monday, August 29, 2011

Hannah's Airy Vintage Nursery

I have been talking about my daughter's nursery for months now it seems. I didn't mean to drag it out, it's just that "Operation Nursery" came to a screeching halt once I was put on bed rest, and stayed there during the haze of the newborn phase. But now it is finished and I am so pleased.

Allow me to take you on a short tour.

The Room

Nursery 5

My favorite thing about Hannah's room is that it gets the most beautiful soft light, and with the light gray walls it seems to glow. I didn't want to take away from that at all, so I splashed my color on the feature wall in this fun damask pattern, and left the others blank so that I could play with furniture, fabric and other decor.

Nursery 10

The dresser was a flea market find, re-painted and gussied up with some new Hobby Lobby handles. I filled the frames with some of my favorite pictures of us with our new little lady. The lamp, tray, blocks and frames were thrift store finds, and the lampshade is from Target.

Nursery 24

Hannah's crib and glider were a part of her brother's nursery. I was initially disappointed not to have white furniture because I just love that look in nurseries, so I decided that I would compensate by white playing a part in all of fabric in the bedding and the other details of the room. Now that the room is complete, I'm glad that the crib and glider have a maple finish. It adds large chunks of warmth to the color scheme and blends everything together nicely.

Nursery 9

Nursery 19

I wanted her room to be sprinkled with a few of her brother's things, since the toys now belong to "the kids" instead of just my son, But I also wanted a few things that were just for her. The stuffed animals, books, baskets and the well-loved wooden train that adorn the book shelf had each belonged to Jayce. But the art piece is just for her.

Nursery 22

The Details

I was on a tight budget when pulling Hannah's room together, so most everything was found at a thrift store or made by me.

Nursery 27600x400

This little shelf display warms my heart!

I made the family blocks for my son about a year and a half ago and I thought it was such a fun little display of our family of 3! I was so pleased to make a coordinating block with a picture of our newest addition for an updated family display! I had used the "It's a Girl" bunting on her vintage inspired announcement, with a picture from the doctor's visit where we discovered her gender, so I was pleased to have that little trinket in her room as well. The photo on the shelf is her birth announcement. The three components together bring all sorts of memories to mind of the "before, during, and after" of my pregnancy and her addition to our family. Is that corny? Regardless, it's still what I think when I look at it. :)

Picnik collagedisp

I love this quote because we are constantly reading in our house. I used fabric as a mat since the frame was an unusual size, and printed the quote onto photo paper so that you wouldn't see the pattern through the paper. The bunting is made from fabric scraps that match her bedding.

Nursery 20

I wanted Hannah's name displayed beside her bed, so I wrapped doilies around these chunky letters to add a bit of daintiness to them. I found a large frame that we cut down and re-sized so that it would frame her name perfectly. I love the wood of frame. It has beautiful details and is a lovely gold color, but was a bit a bit beat up. I really like the mix of it being both elegant and worn, so I did nothing to it other than re-size it.

Picnik collagesign2

The color scheme and inspiration for her room came from this puff quilt that I pieced together throughout my pregnancy.

Picnik collagepuff

I pulled a few of the fabrics from her quilt to use for her crib sheet and ruffled crib skirt. All of these were my first attempts at sewing anything even remotely complicated, so if you are a new sewer, you can do it! :) I was hesitant to make the crib bumpers myself because of the safety issues that can come with bumpers, so I had a custom set made for me from the talented Isla of IslaCorrine. The craftsmanship is beautiful, she was so sweet to work with, and I just love how it completes the crib! Perfect!

Picnik collagebedding

I made these hanging fabric doilies with the same fabric used in the quilt and other areas of the room. I strung them onto the frame from my son's old mobile for a colorful and sweet display.

Nursery 14

I had extra quilt fabric that I had cut on the bias, so it was in perfectly long stretchy strips. I wrapped these strips around a few of the baskets on her shelves, and wove the longer strips around a basket that holds blankets beside the rocker. This added a nice pop of color to these baskets and pulled them into theme of the room.

Picnik collagescraps

The blocks are my husband, son and I's initials. I am on the lookout for a coordinating "h."

Picnik collagelammpPicnik collagedresser

I made a few throw pillows with coordinating fabric for the glider. When we no longer need the glider in the nursery I plan to keep her quilt and these pillows in the same corner for a little reading nook. I won the owl bookend from a giveaway on KoJo Designs from the adorable Etsy shop I Sew Lucky.

Picnik collagepillows

I shared her My Girl inspired Nursery Subway Art on Lemon Tree last week. It is one of my favorite things in the room. Unless my little lady is in there.

Picnik collagepretty

Wouldn't you know that with all of the colorful elements in this room, Hannah's favorite thing to stare at is the white ceiling fan? Go figure. :)

Color 2

What do you think? It was definitely a labor of love, and I'm so happy with it. :)

I'll be linking my nursery to some great parties this week, so stop by to say hi!

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy

40 comments:

Steph @ Birdhouse August 29, 2011 at 6:56 AM  

It's so beautiful!!! I love all the little details. The color scheme is fun but it still feels calm and serene. Great job, especially on a budget!

Kristi August 29, 2011 at 6:57 AM  

This room is darling. I love all of the little details. The doilies on her name in the frame is one of my favorites. And congratulations on completing the bedding as a beginning sewer!! Way to be brave. I am sure that you love it and your little Hannah does, too.

Patrice August 29, 2011 at 7:11 AM  

Everything is just so sweet Erin! I am so excited to finally get to see the final product. I bet Hannah is loving all of the special touches just for her!

Leanne August 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM  

What a sweet nursery! I love all the details you added and the colors are so soothing. Congratulations!

Tiffany August 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany August 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM  

Absolutely beautiful, Erin. Love the color scheme and the sweet personal details that make it Hannah's space! : ) The pillows are gorgeous and that sweet owl is adorable. The bumper is perfect and the sweet little bunting you added to that framed quote is adorable!

paige August 29, 2011 at 9:15 AM  

Wow - this room is incredible. It's nice to see a little girl's room in colors other than pinks! It's soft and understated, but so beautiful. Oh, and I love, love, love the subway art. If I ever have a girl, I may have to steal that idea!

Unknown August 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

Erin, love love love it! I love it that you intentionally didn't fill every little space- it lets the decor you made be the focus!
WAY TO GO!
love
k

Heather A. August 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM  

This is so gorgeous! You must be so proud! And the best accessory is that little face : )

Visiting from Skip to My Lou

lovingmomma @ Happy As A Lark August 29, 2011 at 5:07 PM  

Beautiful nursery. How sweet ♥

Ali Richardson August 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM  

WOW Erin, it's all gorgeous!! I really love it all! My twin sister is pregnant and really wants that calm peaceful vibe that you achieved here. great job!

Sara August 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

This is just adorable!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up to my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! ;) http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/

JustForDaisy August 30, 2011 at 5:09 AM  

Oh my gosh! This would have to be one of the sweetest and most amazing looking rooms ever! Everything naturally coordinates and I love how each piece has such personal value. The story behind this room only adds to the beauty you've already created here! Amazing! :)

Jenny August 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM  

What a sweet, sweet nursery! I love that it's not your standard issue pink/blue/green color - such a classic look that still works for a baby. :-) And your daughter - what a sweet little face! If only my computer was equipped with smell-o-vision - I just love that new baby smell! (You just can't get that when they get older, no matter how much Baby Magic you put on them...)

Just Jaime August 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM  

So pretty! I love how it turned out.

Nan ~ Playful Decor August 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM  

Oh, I'm loving this! You did a beautiful job. Very sweet, soft and serene. I need to hang out here more - you're all about babies! I'd love to have you join my new blog party just for kids decor. Here is a direct link: http://playfuldecor.blogspot.com/2011/08/tuesdays-nursery.html
It's for any age rooms, any decor accessories, etsy items, pinterest pins. I'd love to have you - hope you can make it! Nan

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke August 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM  

Love love love it all! I am diggin' turq. and yellow now, so especially love the bedding.

jess@balancing the dream August 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM  

wow!! this is seriously amazing! I love how you used doilies on her name above the crib!!

Brandy J. August 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM  

STUNNING nursery. I love everything about it!

Jen @ My Own Road August 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM  

Awww this nursery is so adorable! I absolutely love what you did with it, all the little details are gorgeous

Rebekah Lindenmayer August 30, 2011 at 5:41 PM  

It is cute but can't compare to your sweet little girl! this room is so full of personal touches it is perfect!

Andrea from The Train To Crazy August 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM  

Adorable!! All of it is precious! Especially that little girl =)

Unknown August 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM  

So super adorable! Love the dresser! Come check me out-www.alivedinhome.blogspot.com

Rosemary@villabarnes August 31, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

What a beautiful nursery. Hannah is a very lucky girl, and very cute.

Care Free Jen August 31, 2011 at 9:30 PM  

Oh wow. That is so lovely. You should be really proud because it turned out fantastic!

Trulieunique August 31, 2011 at 11:23 PM  

This is so pretty and everything a baby room should be! Great job!

Megan September 1, 2011 at 8:46 AM  

So beautifully done! I love every part about it. Love the dresser with the red drawer pulls and your "I've got sunshine print! Love it all! New follower of your blog :) Stopping by via Gussy

Alison September 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

It's gorgeous! You did such a great job. :)

Gussy Sews September 1, 2011 at 6:48 PM  

wowzers, this is DARLING! i love the nursery :] and i spotted the I Sew Lucky owl before you mentioned it, i looove April!

thanks for linking up to the Inspiration Workshop! xoxo

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear September 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM  

Love, love, love this!!

I'd be honored if you'd visit and link to our Crafts for Under Twenty Somethings party going on now until noon Saturday!!
http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/08/crafts-for-under-twenty-somethings-4.html

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence September 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

Wow, what a beautiful and amazing space==love the wall and all of the sweet little touches! Thanks for sharing at Beyond the Picket Fence.

Rose Garden Malevik September 3, 2011 at 7:52 AM  

Lovley Photos :)
and do not miss.....


S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y

S
H
O
W

O
F
F

WELCOME :)
HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

Sommer September 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM  

WOW! That room is so elegant and soft. I just love the abstract damask stenciling on the wall with the window and the grey paint is stunning. Something I wish I could do in my rental home but alas, I will have to wait until we buy. I would love to have you share your talents at my VIP today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/09/vip-party-26.html
Have a wonderful holiday weekend!! XO

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear September 3, 2011 at 2:22 PM  

So beautiful! Thanks for linking up to Crafts for Under Twenty Somethings! Featured you today on Facebook..https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bear-Rabbit-Bear-Craft-DIY-blog/147483145329051


Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Mama Up! September 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM  

It's absolutely beautiful, and I love how you made so much of it yourself. That makes it even more beautiful, in my opinion!

Kayla and Andrew September 5, 2011 at 2:00 AM  

You did a beautiful job. I love the subtle pops of color and just how sweet everything is. LOVE IT!

Chef in Training September 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM  

this is a gorgeous nursery! I love the color scheme! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Marie September 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM  

What a beautiful baby and I love the nursery! Thanks for linking with us at Show & Share!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY September 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM  

Love this nursery!

Camille September 9, 2011 at 7:26 PM  

This is beautiful!!! All the little details are amazing. I love how it turned out . . . the colors, the letters, the pictures . . . it's the perfect room for a baby! Thank you for sharing this at our Strut Your Stuff Link Party! We hope that you will join us again tomorrow!!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails